Hybrid Nest Mini 2.0 for Brachymyrmex patagonicus?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

MrKotter

Hybrid Nest Mini 2.0 for Brachymyrmex patagonicus?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 am

I was looking at the Hybrid Nest Mini 2.0 as a next step after my Brachymyrmex patagonicus leave the tube. They already have at least 25 workers, but difficult to count as they have hollowed out much of the cotton in their tube.

They are SO small, I want to be sure I choose a formicarium that they won't be able to escape and will last for a year or so.

Is this my best option?

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Hybrid Nest Mini 2.0 for Brachymyrmex patagonicus?

Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:36 pm

The Hybrid Nest series has 0.25mm hydration holes. I know of one customer who discovered that there was one of the hundreds of holes that was slightly larger, perhaps a manufacturing defect. He had some small ants and they escaped through that one hole.

There are also two larger holes under the glass cover that are used to help remove the glass cover with a toothpick or something when the glass cover is stuck (like when it is time to clean it out). If the ants can get under the glass cover, they would be able to escape through these holes. The fix for this is to use Elmer's glue all around the glass cover to prevent escapes.

The Ant Tower series also has 0.25mm hydration holes in the bottom and 0.25mm air holes in the lid. You will have to be the judge if you think your ants could escape through holes that small.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator