When to introduce the hybrid nest?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

Fannuubannuu

When to introduce the hybrid nest?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 pm

So I got the camponotus hybrid nest 2.0 for my camponotus colony thats a little over a year old. There are about 30-50 workers (i think/estimate) and they are currently nesting in 2 test tubes that i placed in my outworld. The hybrid nests 2.0 are pretty large so Im worried that if i introduce such a large formicarium too early, it might lead to problems (mould outbreaks from food wastes in the nest). Whats a good number of workers in the colony to reach before introducing the hybrid nest? What do you guys recommend?

idahoantgirl

Re: When to introduce the hybrid nest?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:43 pm

25- 50 is generally reccomended. While the new hybrids are larger, campo. is also a very large species, so the two factors kinda cancel eachother out. Really, if your colony does not fill the nest head to toe, you probably are going to get a chamber used for garbage. My tetramorium did this. It's normal and generally not detrimental. Once they grow large enough to need that chamber they usually clean it out. My Tetramorium colony fills all the chambers now, but they still use the back one (super close to an entrance and farthest away from humidity) as a garbage dump. I find that if I connect a water test tube to that entrance they move the garbage into the tube and I can throw it away. I think you are good to move your colony now
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: When to introduce the hybrid nest?

Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Thumbs up to idahoantgirl's suggestions.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator