I have escapees! Help!

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

drahydra

I have escapees! Help!

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:10 pm

I've gotten the Lasius hybrid nest, and I believe the species of my colony is a black garden ant (Lasius niger), on the smaller side. I have noticed some scouts crawling around outside the case, and can't seem to find where they're getting out! I have sealed the glass with aquarium sealant around the perimeter, three of the entrances are sealed by porous plugs, and one entrance has a simple tube setup with a valve connector leading to a test tube portal. (Which is also sealed by plugs, save for the entrance and a test tube filled with water) All of these are AntsCanada products except for the aquarium sealant, and everything seems tight.

Is there a way they're getting through? Again, the species is pretty small, only 3-4 mm. Are they squeezing through something? What should I seal first? Is it the aquarium sealant/glass? The plugs? The pipes? Help!

AM1C39

Re: I have escapees! Help!

Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:23 pm

A few images would be very helpfull, preferably images of different angles. Maybe you should put a glass tank (or some other container) over them until further notice. How are you dealling with the escapees? Don't forget to stay calm and good luck!
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

drahydra

Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:19 pm

Yep, certainly! Here it is, lemme know if a look elsewhere is needed.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Gj8PaK9vUv44JIyrKCo4588in-2d0B71A8QouYyias/edit?usp=sharing

AM1C39

Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:20 pm

I can't think of where they would be getting out from... Are you sure they are the same ants and not just some other wild ones?
Also I noticed the dirt is really dry, I would suggest adding some moisture to the nest. How's the queen doing, still there right?
Nice pictures and setup btw.
My current colonies:

drahydra

Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:52 pm

Yep, queen is there, in the central chamber that has a bunch of dirt piled on top. I'm being cautious with moisture levels, since I previously overwatered the setup and that resulted in some mold. I have springtails in there, just being careful.

As for the wild ones or not thing, that can't be the case since I have seen these pop up since the cold parts of spring, which is a bit too cold for wild ants. Furthermore, my colony's population seems stuck at around 12, and I theorize it's because scouts are getting out but not back in. The fact I don't see any dead ants in the nest seems to corroborate that. Should I try taping everything to be safe?

AM1C39

Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:49 pm

Personally, I think they are wild ants living in your house or something of the like. Try to get a photo of one of the maybe escapees so we can see if they are the same species.
My current colonies:

drahydra

Tue May 02, 2023 12:44 am

I haven't gotten a photo of the outside ants vs the inside ones, but I have found where they might be getting in and out from. On the left and right sides of the nest, there is a hole (presumably left there as part of the manufacturing process) that goes all the way from just underneath the glass, through to the water reservoir. This wouldn't be a problem except that the ants inside have piled a ton of dirt onto the underside of the glass, probably lifting the glass just a tiny bit, and allowing them to use the holes to get out! The fact I kept seeing ants in the reservoir was a bit suspect to me. I've plugged these holes up with more aquarium sealant. I'll keep updated if I see more stragglers after this point.

RubyAntKeeper77

Tue May 02, 2023 8:18 am

I would not use AntsCanada’s plug because some ants are small enough to fit through them, I would just plug the extra entrances with cotton.

Unless you know they can’t fit through.
Why don’t more people like ants?
Is anyone from Wyoming who wants to sell ants?

You can email me about ants at Tucker.reynolds13@gmail.com

antperson24

Tue May 02, 2023 8:25 am

RubyAntKeeper77 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 8:18 am
I would not use AntsCanada’s plug because some ants are small enough to fit through them, I would just plug the extra entrances with cotton.

Unless you know they can’t fit through.
Upvote on escaping through the plugs. I have seen Tetramorium immigrans go right through a plug, so with some effort, I think Lasius neoniger would also be able to. I always just use cotton balls no mater what the species.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN