New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

AntTrailer027
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am
Location: Pickering

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55578Post AntTrailer027
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm

So, I would Move them from Tube->Ant Tower->Hybrid Nest?

User avatar
ooper01
Head Moderator
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55579Post ooper01
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:55 pm

AntTrailer027 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm
Also, in the Field & Forest Biome Kit™ it says that it contains "Solidifying Ground Mix". What is that?
A mix that can be used in outworlds for the "ground". You add water to make it into a paste, then add it to the outworld. It then hardens over the next 24 hours. This prevents the ants from being able to dig into it.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator
Image

User avatar
ooper01
Head Moderator
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55581Post ooper01
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 pm

AntTrailer027 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 pm
So, I would Move them from Tube->Ant Tower->Hybrid Nest?
It's up to you. There is an Ant Tower Large coming out soon which could also be used to house larger colonies.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator
Image

AntTrailer027
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am
Location: Pickering

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55582Post AntTrailer027
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:17 pm

ooper01 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:55 pm
AntTrailer027 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:37 pm
Also, in the Field & Forest Biome Kit™ it says that it contains "Solidifying Ground Mix". What is that?
A mix that can be used in outworlds for the "ground". You add water to make it into a paste, then add it to the outworld. It then hardens over the next 24 hours. This prevents the ants from being able to dig into it.
So basically they don't turn the outworld, into their world?

AntTrailer027
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am
Location: Pickering

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55583Post AntTrailer027
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Also, say for instance I bought a Test Tube Containing a Queen (from the Species Formica Fusca) and about 5-6 Eggs. How long would I Have to wait to put them in an Ant Tower or in an Ant hybrid Nest? Or as I call it an Ant Maze?

User avatar
ooper01
Head Moderator
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55586Post ooper01
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:58 am

AntTrailer027 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 pm
Also, say for instance I bought a Test Tube Containing a Queen (from the Species Formica Fusca) and about 5-6 Eggs. How long would I Have to wait to put them in an Ant Tower or in an Ant hybrid Nest? Or as I call it an Ant Maze?
If you want to use a Hybrid Nest, I would wait until you had 20-30 workers, which might be up to a year or so. The Hybrid Nest is just too large for them. If you want to use an Ant Tower, you can connect the test tube to the Ant Tower and let them decide when to move in. I did this with a carpenter ant colony with six workers. They explored the Ant Tower every day and actually dug some tunnels, but didn't actually move into it for about 5 or 6 weeks.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator
Image

AntTrailer027
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:07 am
Location: Pickering

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55587Post AntTrailer027
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am

Wait, just a question, would it be sufficient to just give the queen water, or how would I Feed her withOUT her escaping? The queen needs protein too! What do I feed her with? I am so confused about this. :|

User avatar
ooper01
Head Moderator
Posts: 827
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: New Ant Keeper, But What Ants?

Post: # 55623Post ooper01
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:12 am

AntTrailer027 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:29 am
Wait, just a question, would it be sufficient to just give the queen water, or how would I Feed her withOUT her escaping? The queen needs protein too! What do I feed her with? I am so confused about this. :|
My understanding is that Formica fusca are fully claustral, meaning the queen doesn't need to be fed during the colony founding stage. Once her first workers come, they will forage and feed her. Just make sure she has water.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest