Hybrid nest 2.0 heating cable

Discussion and information relating to the AntsCanada Hybrid Nest Series.

Moderator: ooper01

ooper01
Head Moderator

Re: Hybrid nest 2.0 heating cable

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I use the lowest one available (15 watts), which emits a safe heat for a formicarium. I don't know exactly what the temp is, I just know it doesn't get too hot.

Now having said that, I am still careful about where I place it, especially if I want to use it with ants that I have in test tube setups. For test tubes, I will typically place it under the cotton at the opening of the test tube. Others place it on the water end, but warming the water end seems to allow more mold to grow on the cotton at the water end.

For formicariums, I just place it through the heat cable tunnel and that's that. There is enough space that the ants can decide where to place brood, where to relax for an afternoon nap, etc. :)
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

CANant

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:06 am

ooper01 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm
I use the lowest one available (15 watts), which emits a safe heat for a formicarium. I don't know exactly what the temp is, I just know it doesn't get too hot.

Now having said that, I am still careful about where I place it, especially if I want to use it with ants that I have in test tube setups. For test tubes, I will typically place it under the cotton at the opening of the test tube. Others place it on the water end, but warming the water end seems to allow more mold to grow on the cotton at the water end.

For formicariums, I just place it through the heat cable tunnel and that's that. There is enough space that the ants can decide where to place brood, where to relax for an afternoon nap, etc. :)
Hi ooper01

This is an older topic but I’m having issues with using a heat cable (15 watt zoomed) and it becoming too hot. My setup is a bit different then the typically water at the end of the test tube. I have tried many things and it is still too hot. Now I’m intermittently plugging in and unplugging the cable since I almost killed my colony once already I’m nervous about leaving it on. I use an infrared thermometer to check the temperature and it seems to be accurate. Now I have the tube perpendicular to the cable and about an inch or two away from the end of the tube. It’s still hitting temps too hot I think. Ranges from 87-93F on one side and down to 80-83F on the other.

I am using an AC test tube set up with a test tube portal. Currently the queen likes the tube without water and has been like that for awhile and has been doing well (12 workers now and lots of eggs and larvae). The other side of the portal has a tube of water and a tube of sugar water. I figure they would move into the water tube if they wanted higher humidity.

I have tried placing the cable between to pieces of glass to help spread out the heat and I’m not sure if it helps or not. Should I be concerned with the extra unused cable laying on other surfaces?
I live in Ontario, Canada and am keeping Camponotus Pennsylvanicus so in a month or two I would think they will be in diapause and this won’t be an issue until next year. Haha

Anyone with thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

CANant

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 am

In addition to my above post here is a link that will give you a better idea of my setup and the progress. Sorry it was too late to edit my last post.
https://imgur.com/a/2kTk38Y
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

LasiusSapien

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:08 am

you could plug your cable into somethiung like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Womdee-Terrarium-Thermostat-Controller-Temperature/dp/B07MN24WCZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1DT6FDP1CKD3J&keywords=heat+mat+thermostat&qid=1569229514&sprefix=heat+mat+t%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-5 ????
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

CANant

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 am

I thought about that but they all say to use with a heat mat. I wonder how they work with cables? I guess you would just put the temperature probe near the cable against the test tube or formicarium?
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

LasiusSapien

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:28 pm

CANant wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:55 am
I thought about that but they all say to use with a heat mat. I wonder how they work with cables? I guess you would just put the temperature probe near the cable against the test tube or formicarium?
yeah just put the sensor on the cable choose a temp and it will regulate the power to keep to the set temp
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

CANant

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks for the help Lasius!
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:30 am

Whatever you have been doing looks great! The colony is developing nicely. I think the key with heat is to make sure there is a heat gradient in the nesting space. This gives the ants the ability to place brood in the ideal temperature. Maybe you could run the cable over or under the test tube portal near the entrance to the test tube??
~ ooper

Forum Moderator