Need help in identifying if its a queen ant

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

art2rugrace

Need help in identifying if its a queen ant

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Good day AntsCanada!! I have a little girl and do want to raise her up in exploring the natural world more than playing video games and watching TV. So came across AntsCanada and watched if not all, almost all the videos tutorial. But its hard for us to find a queen ant and we've been looking with eyes wide open around our place, streets, gardens, etc. ever since last year. But we've failed lots of times and went home empty handed, until the other day. Or maybe not. I'm not sure because i'm not sure if we got a queen or a male ant or if its a queen but not yet fertilize? or worse it might not be an ant!! I'm really not sure. Hope you guys could take some time to look and comment. Will greatly appreciate it!

WillWithAnts

Re: Need help in identifying if its a queen ant

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:31 am

:shock: Oh my gosh! You have an Odontomachus queen! That is a "Trap Jaw" queen, my friend! Score!

Do you know what to do?
Where do you live?

If you need any help, there are many knowledgeable people on the forum who can give you advice!

WillWithAnts

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:54 am

GriffinAnt wrote:wow
I know, that is what I thought!

art2rugrace

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi will!! Wow! Thank you for identifying my ant! We're sooo.. Happy! We totally have no idea how to take care of trap jaw ant. Except for the videos I watched in taking care of new queen ant guide by mike bustos. Any suggestion are welcome. Should I post in a different forum section for guide?

We live in metro manila philippines, and I currently put her in a test tube set up inside a durabox cabinet. I covered the test tube with black leather sheet just to make sure its dark. And just leave her. I usually peek at her once a day. Just to make sure she's still breathing. But her wings are still attached tho. How can I be sure she's fertile? :) thanks again for your time!

GriffinAnt

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:28 am

try not to peek at her it will stress her. also you wont know if she is fertile till she starts laying. as for wings dont worry she will sort that when she sees fit.

art2rugrace

Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:00 am

Thanks griffin! I will try not to peek!! Just another question is should i feed her once a week with food or wait till she has larvae. Still dont know how to catch termite which after reading in forum and video is what trap jaw likes, any advice? Can i feed her dead rice weevils or dead mosquito? :)

WillWithAnts

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:01 pm

art2rugrace wrote:Thanks griffin! I will try not to peek!! Just another question is should i feed her once a week with food or wait till she has larvae. Still dont know how to catch termite which after reading in forum and video is what trap jaw likes, any advice? Can i feed her dead rice weevils or dead mosquito? :)
The norm is to not feed queens until they have their first worker, but I haven't kept these ants. Probably don't feed her, she should have a good amount of calorie stores to keep her alive until she has her first worker.

Also, not peeking is hard, but try your best!

jonathan21700

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Odontomachus are hard to raise from a single queen.
Also queens are semi claustral and come out to forage during the founding stage.
The queen should be fed every 2 or 3 days with small insects and it is better to provide her with a small outworld.
And they don't do well without substrate so its good to add soil in it.
Good luck!

WillWithAnts

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:42 pm

Sorry, I didn't research them :oops: