Need help in identifying if its a queen ant

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

thamkimchung

Re: Need help in identifying if its a queen ant

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:02 am

Hi,

I have an Odontomachus queen too. I keeps her for the 5th months now. For a beginner like me, it is very hard to raise this queen. Compare with the Solenopsis queen, Solenopsis is easier to raise. My Odontomachus had laid 5 eggs at the first week while i keep her. A months later, these egg hatched and turned into larvae. Unfortunately, all these larvae unable to survice. I thought i would give up on this queen, so i keep her aside in the dark carbinet for 2 months without any care, less food and she just depends on the water in the test tube to survive. Just recently, I took her out from the cabinet and have a look, for my surprise, I saw 2 larvae and 1 egg. Quickly, I prepared a new clean test tube setup for her and start feeding her again with meal worms, cricket, honey and sugar water as well. I do more research on what food they eat and now she is doing well. Her larvae is doing fine and well fed. Hopefully they will turn to a healthy ants soon. Raising ants need a lot of patient, for a medium size ants like Odontomachus, it may take a long period to grow to a healthy colony. Good luck to you...