New Queen / Begginer

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

QldAustralia

New Queen / Begginer

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:23 am

I seen a few YouTube vids by accident then after gaining interest and doing a bit more watching I'm glad to say I'm interested on having a couple colonies .. The very next morning after looking for queen ants my daughter points out a drowning Queen Ant in our bath tub ... Some how it's got inside our house !! .. After scooping out on my finger she had life .. So straight into a test tube .. 3 days in the dark she has a few eggs .. She tends to be looking after them as they are all bunched together ... The question is .. If it's a REd Imported Fire ant .. We can't have them here in Australia :( .. Wich I don't mind but we have another ant that's very simaler it's a Bi-coloured Pennant ant or tetramorium bicarinatum the main difference is the worker ants I think are relatively the same size compared to the fire ant workers being different sizes but as a beginner I am unsure so I have taken a photo of her ....and am open to suggestions on identifying and keeping a small colony . ( how long does it take for eggs to hatch ???)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonathan21700

Re: New Queen / Begginer

Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:25 pm

I'm not sure if she is Solenopsis. Might be Pheidole, Monomorium and others.
Can you make a few more photos?

QldAustralia

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:44 pm

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonathan21700

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Crematogaster sp. I think.