Question on eggs and type of ant:)

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

homefarmideas

Question on eggs and type of ant:)

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm new around here so hello everyone:) I live in Huntington Beach California and I found an Ant queen in my back yard. It was living in my compost pile with a whole lot of other ants and again there was more than one queen in this brewed. The ants are black to dark brown. These of the best photos I can get without a macro lens. Any idea as to what these ants are?

The queen is already laying eggs as of today. She has laid about seven eggs so far. My question on the eggs is do they leave them off on their own when they first lay them or do they keep them very close to the queen?

homefarmideas

Re: Question on eggs and type of ant:)

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Here are the photos:)

jonathan21700

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:59 pm

Linepithema humile.
You should add a few workers because she probably won't survive without them.

homefarmideas

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:30 pm

jonathan21700 wrote:Linepithema humile.
You should add a few workers because she probably won't survive without them.
Are they also known as "Argentine ants"? I do have two workers in with her and she is starting to lay eggs pretty fast. I've had her for about two days and already there are 21 eggs:) Are there bigger species of ants that do not bite/ Sting? These are so small so they are hard to see but my daughter so far is loving them:)

homefarmideas

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Thank you for the help by the way:)

jonathan21700

Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes, Argentine ants.
One of the most common urban species in Southern California.

homefarmideas

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:05 pm

jonathan21700 wrote:Yes, Argentine ants.
Ha ha ha:) So I have noticed. I've seen these ants for ages! I never looked at them the way I am now though. Eggs all over the place and everyone is looking healthy.

Are there bigger ants that live in my area that do not sting or bite too hard that I can try and catch? I think I am really going to get into this hobby but I will something bigger that I can see. Thanks for the help Jonathan:)

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 pm

homefarmideas wrote:
jonathan21700 wrote:Yes, Argentine ants.
Ha ha ha:) So I have noticed. I've seen these ants for ages! I never looked at them the way I am now though. Eggs all over the place and everyone is looking healthy.

Are there bigger ants that live in my area that do not sting or bite too hard that I can try and catch? I think I am really going to get into this hobby but I will something bigger that I can see. Thanks for the help Jonathan:)

Ants in California:

http://www.antweb.org/california.jsp

Good pics for identifying Ants:

http://www.myrmecos.net/north-american-ants/
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

jonathan21700

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:45 pm

California is pretty diverse but to find more and bigger species you should head to the desert in summer especially after rain or in the mountains.
Species you can commonly find there: Pogonomyrmex sp, Veromessor pergandei, Pheidole sp, Myrmecocystus sp. and more.
In the mountains you can find: Camponotus sp, Formica sp, Liometopum occidentale and others.
Good luck!