Camponotus vicinus - Newish Colony

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

VanPolska

Camponotus vicinus - Newish Colony

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi,

I captured a Queen and a few workers a few months back. I made my own basic colony setup in a large glass jar. The first of the new brood has hatched and I'm getting more surface activity now. They nest in dirt and old logs from the original nest site so I can't see to much action.

I'm thinking of getting one of the clear vertical nest setups from the AntsCanada store. Do I add any dirt to the setup so they can dig?
Should I cover the nest so it's dark and keep the outworld exposed to light?

I figure I won't move them until after this seasons hibernation.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus vicinus - Newish Colony

Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:51 pm

VanPolska wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:37 pm
Hi,

I captured a Queen and a few workers a few months back. I made my own basic colony setup in a large glass jar. The first of the new brood has hatched and I'm getting more surface activity now. They nest in dirt and old logs from the original nest site so I can't see to much action.

I'm thinking of getting one of the clear vertical nest setups from the AntsCanada store. Do I add any dirt to the setup so they can dig?
Should I cover the nest so it's dark and keep the outworld exposed to light?

I figure I won't move them until after this seasons hibernation.
I would add substrate so the larvae can always spin cocoons, but it is really your choice, as they can do fine without it. I add a small “carpet” of sand with mine, and they will move it as they please.

I would defiantly cover tey nest up, but keep the outworld exposed a mild light, not insanely blinding light.

Also, it sounds like it is a small colony that is not yet ready for a proper formicarium.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…