Atta Sexdens *HELP*

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

nclmorales

Atta Sexdens *HELP*

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:13 am

Hello guys.

I already got an Atta Sexdens 3 weeks ago, but she didn't made any fungos or eggs.

I put she inside a bottle, with humid cotton and with a bit of land, lemon leaf and eucalyptus.

What i'm doing wrong?

GriffinAnt

Re: Atta Sexdens *HELP*

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:56 am

maybe she is one of the spesis that needs to hybernate before laying her eggs?

nclmorales

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:01 pm

I don't know man.

Actually, i forgot to say, yesterday i saw some "little white things" with her, she was handling it, but today it disappeared. :shock:

It's normal? :|

jonathan21700

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:14 pm

She wouldn't need hibernation to lay eggs.
Can you give us some photos?

nclmorales

Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Sure friend.

I took this ones :)

1º Picture: Bottle + Humid Cotton Outside
Attaaa.png
2º Picture: We can see her, in the same location, "under" the land.
Atta2.png
3º Picture: Same /\
Atta.png

* I was thinking to move to other bottle without land or leaf, with only one humid cotton. It's a godd idea? :/

* Need some advice, PLEASE!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonathan21700

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:39 pm

It seems OK. You can add more soil and let the queen dig herself a founding chamber this way she will feel better. I am not sure if Atta queens come out in search for substrate in the beginning so she might not need leaves now but you can still leave some on top if she needs them. There is a good video about this but I can't find it now.

nclmorales

Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:57 pm

Oh sure, i'm gonna do that bro, thanks !!! :)

Btw, can you put the link below? Will help really mutch.

Btw 2, i will make this and i will post some photos here.

Gregory2455

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:32 am

Never, never hibernate tropical species please. I happen to have had the same thing happen last year with me with the species Acromyrmex versicolor. I caught queens, but only after they have dug their founding chambers and spat their fungal pellets out. Unless you can find someone to give you some fungus or dig a few feet down int the ground, you probably will not be getting more fungus. Super jealous by the way that you have even seen this species in real life. :)

nclmorales

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:49 am

Hello guys!!

So, i changed her "habitat", with more soil, two leafs and humid cotton on the top!

She is diging already, im falling in love haha :P
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nclmorales

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:53 pm

I am desperate, my ant get stuck all the time , almost does not move, made ​​a small tunnel , but stay on the surface all the time.

I really need to found another colony, and take a little bit of fungus, to save my "baby".