Popular forms of natural pest control?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Chad81

Popular forms of natural pest control?

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I've been wondering, if I made a nest, and wanted to have ways of keeping the population from getting too big, what are popular forms of pest control? Like a body of water, or a resident ant eating lizard? I imagine something that could eat workers that come above ground, but wouldn't dig up brood or hunt down the queen.

Zayltek

Re: Popular forms of natural pest control?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:32 am

From what I understand, most ant species grow at a rate equal to and up to their food supply. Once a colony gets to the size you want, cut back on their food supply a little bit. If the colony stops it's exponential growth, then keep the food supply at that rate.

Silver

Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 am

If you keep the nest in cooler places(not so cold that the queen dies). The queen lay less eggs. It also helps if the nest a bit drier as this means more workers spend time moistening the eggs, and less are free to tend to more eggs. Be sure not to overdo it though.
Keeper of Lasius Niger colony. :D

danish53

Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion, I Want fast & effective home pest control products for indoors and out, including bug.....

idahoantgirl

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Diatematious earth. I pretty sure I spelled that wrong but google will understand :lol: Its natural and won't harm pets.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

DuckST

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:23 am

Water and vinegar are good for that purpose. Wild chamomile can be used too. Here https://pestcontrolhacks.com/ants-house-invasion-how-to-get-rid-of-sugar-ants/ one can find other tips on both natural and chemical pest control. Hope it will come in handy.