C. pennsylvanicus setup help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

BeginnersBurrow

C. pennsylvanicus setup help

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:57 am

I am picking up my first colony tomorrow. Camponotus pennsylvanicus with 50-100 workers. They are in a nest and outworld setup that i am not really happy with. So I plan to move them into a natural setup.

I am going to do my own research into natural setups for this sp. but i figured I should ask here as well. If anyone has any tips or ideas I would appreciate the help If you have a natural setup for this sp. I would love to see puxs od it.
My YouTube Channnel
www.youtube.com/beginnersburrow

xTNxANTMANx

Re: C. pennsylvanicus setup help

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:50 am

Nice to see you on here lol...its InverteVision lol. xTNxANTMANx was my original Youtube name but anyway, i know they normally like to live in rotten logs and such. Their size is definitely impressive especially if its your first time seeing a queen that big lol. I helped numerous people last year here in TN because i caught so many C. pennsylvanicus queens. I was just giving away starter colonies. But yea, i would just do some research on their normal habitat my friend and go from there. I dont really do natural setups as i like to see whats going on INSIDE the nest from time to time. Im sure i will i the future though at some point. Again, nice to see ya my friend. Hope all the Ts and other inverts are doing well!!!
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

antsofthelowcountry

Re: C. pennsylvanicus setup help

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:19 am

I don't have a natural set up myself, however, I would suggest doing a version similar to the Hacienda Del Dorado although with more wood and an easily moldable piece of wood for the ants to make their nests in. If you do decide to go this route make sure that you keep a barrier all around their natural set up to make sure that no ants can escape. This is AntsCanada’s live construction of the Hacienda Del Dorado he lists the materials he uses why he uses them and how to make similar nests. https://www.facebook.com/AntsCanada/videos/1330073730383273/
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.