Queen ant in test tube low water! And possible eggs!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Greeneddie4

Queen ant in test tube low water! And possible eggs!

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello I am new to the forum and I just caught what I believe is my first Queen ant. I set up a test tube but it looks like it might be running out of water. But it also looks like she laid eggs so I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to disturb her if she did lay eggs but I also dont want her to run out of water. What should I do?? :|

DictaruraSrl

Re: Queen ant in test tube low water! And possible eggs!

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:15 am

You can take a second test tube full of water and stick it together with the old one. However take care that you will be required to open the setup to let air flow otherwise the queen will die sufocated. After she has moved( it can last some days or even weeks) you seal the new test tube with cotton.

Greeneddie4

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:28 am

Ok I will try that! Thank you for the advice!

FolloweroftheWay

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am

You can also use a syringe to inject new water behind the current one but I find that I prefer the new cotton ball in a new test tube.

You should also wrap some paper towel around the new tube to make it dark and leave the other exposed to everyday light. I've not had much luck with putting a spot light on the old one myself but just be patient. They can be stubborn.

Do you have an identification or pictures for us?

M.
Solenopsis Richteri x 2
Lasius Neoniger x 2
Camponotus spp. x1
Wish List:

Monomorium pharaonis

antsofthelowcountry

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:22 am

Another way of doing this is if you haven't answered Canada test tube portal that you can stick multiple test tubes into you can block up all other entrances and the Ants can safely move their brood from one test tube to the other at will. https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/ac-test-tube-portal/
As always, wishing you well on your exciting ant adventure, Ants the Lowcountry.