Freezer or fridge, moving ants to a new home

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Seiyaryu

Freezer or fridge, moving ants to a new home

Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 am

I'm getting read to move my ants into a new formicarium and I don't want to shock them when I make an opening in the old one. Do I want to stick the old one in the freezer or fridge? And for how long to I want to keep them in there in order to make them hybernate?

Also, I'm pretty sure the species is solenopsis molesta, if that makes any difference.

Batspiderfish

Re: Freezer or fridge, moving ants to a new home

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:18 am

Why would you have to open it? Why not connect it with tubes?
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Seiyaryu

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:41 am

It's one of the gel farms. I didn't know any better when I started and now it looks like mold is forming. The only thing I can think of is drilling a hole in the side and taping a test tube to it so I can relocate them.

Batspiderfish

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:50 am

You can also open the nest in a foraging space and let them move into their nest that way.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.