How many eggs can lasius niger queens lay a day? and additional infomation on them

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Nicky2

How many eggs can lasius niger queens lay a day? and additional infomation on them

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am

Was just wonering how many lasius niger eggs lay a day
and additonal infomation on them since thats the colony im getting

NikolaMladenovic

Re: How many eggs can lasius niger queens lay a day? and additional infomation on them

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

In my experience they don't really lay eggs everyday. At least not in the start. The queen usually lays around 8-12 eggs the day after she's been cought if you let her be in the dark for a good time. After that no more eggs are being layed until her workers emerge but right before they do she lays a new batch of eggs. After that point she will lay eggs depending on how often you feed your colony. If you have any further questions feel free to ask me.
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

Nicky2

Re: How many eggs can lasius niger queens lay a day? and additional infomation on them

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:01 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:
In my experience they don't really lay eggs everyday. At least not in the start. The queen usually lays around 8-12 eggs the day after she's been cought if you let her be in the dark for a good time. After that no more eggs are being layed until her workers emerge but right before they do she lays a new batch of eggs. After that point she will lay eggs depending on how often you feed your colony. If you have any further questions feel free to ask me.
So just wondering then so lets say this is my first time and im asuiming you do not live in the uk but lets say i wanted to find one in the real world wheres the best place to find them in london/buryst edmunds area
also
lets say i bought an queen ant with 4 to 5 workers and i put them into a ant world place how long until she lays and how money will she lay once she is caught in the 24 hours and then after that point

NikolaMladenovic

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Nicky2 wrote:
NikolaMladenovic wrote:
So just wondering then so lets say this is my first time and im asuiming you do not live in the uk but lets say i wanted to find one in the real world wheres the best place to find them in london/buryst edmunds area
also
lets say i bought an queen ant with 4 to 5 workers and i put them into a ant world place how long until she lays and how money will she lay once she is caught in the 24 hours and then after that point
Before I answer your question... Do you usually see Lasius niger worker ants walking around on the pavement or anywhere close to where you live?
I'm very ANThusiastic :lol:

Nicky2

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:10 pm

NikolaMladenovic wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:07 pm
Nicky2 wrote:
NikolaMladenovic wrote:
also
Before I answer your question... Do you usually see Lasius niger worker ants walking around on the pavement or anywhere close to where you live?
well at school we have a play ground and tehre is a nest there there is alot of ants walking around in that area so yeah
why?