Pheidole megacephala

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Ductape503

Pheidole megacephala

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 am

I’ve got my Pheidole megacephala, and I’m wondering would an Omni nest large be an option once the colony is large enough. I was also thinking of filling the chambers with sand so they have to dig thru to actually expand their nest size. Would this be a good idea?
Thanks in advance
https://imgur.com/a/1ROp9bC

PTasker15

Re: Pheidole megacephala

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:07 am

No.Pheidole Magacephala Is Wayyyyyyyy Too Small For A Omni Nest Large.Try A Small.And No Substrate.They're Small Size Makes No Problem Of Hiding From You!Only Move In Ants If They Have 50+ Workers Into Any Omni Nest(Unless If Its A Vertical,In That Case;UseSliders!)But You Can Move A Colony Into A Hybrid Nest If They Have 20-30+ Workers.Pheidole Magacephala Only Get This Population,Thanks To A Balance Of Life

1 Queen,5-10Yrs,Lets Say A 5 Year Old Colony
1 Queen
4510 Workers
855 Soldiers
275 Males
190 Females
And Here's The Twist-The Queens Maximum Is About 26-32 Eggs/Hour When About The Colony Reaches 2-3 Years Old...And Unlucky For Us;Stays This Way Until She Dies.So The Colony Usally Remains The Same Size.Still,What Ever Floats Your Boat!
My current ants
Pogonomyrmex Barbatus
Psudomyrmex Graccilis
Temnothroax Longiveps
Tetramourium Bicarinatum
Pheidole Moerens
Pheidole Obscuriothorax
Brachymyrmex Patgonicus
Camponotus Decipens,And Castanus.