my first queen ant, possibly?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

japjap15

my first queen ant, possibly?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:16 am

Hello. So I bumped over the youtube videos randomly and I liked them so i thought i could give antkeeping a try. I got no knowledge besides what i learned from those videos, I don't even know if the and I caught is a queen. I went to look after queens a few times but no luck and I improvised a tube out of a 10ml syringe till I actually caught one and carried that with me all the time and I actually got this one randomly and I want to know if it's a queen.
is it a queen and do you have any advice or some knowledge that I could use?

Here's the pic after I caught it. sorry for the bad quality, I dont have my camera on me
https://imgur.com/a/lWZMRfF

Batspiderfish

Re: my first queen ant, possibly?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:40 am

Looks like a Formica social parasite. She will need about 6-8 Formica pupae to start a colony.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

japjap15

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm

and how long does it usually takes till she would lay eggs?

Batspiderfish

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm

japjap15 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm
and how long does it usually takes till she would lay eggs?
That question never has a reliable answer.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

japjap15

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 am

I would like to know more about this, if possible... Do you know any place where I could find some data over this species? it's my 1st colony, i don't really know what i'm doing. I mean, if she will lay eggs, like what should I expect? are they big/small? Is it gonna expand fast or slow. I really only watched some AntsCanada videos and I wanted to try and I don't want to screw up.

Batspiderfish

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:26 pm

The preparation aspect is just providing what your queen needs; all the rest is patience. She will be fine in test tubes for at least a year or two. Since she will have workers right away, you just provide care similar to when claustral queens eclose their first workers. They will need access to a foraging space regularly supplied with sugary liquid and insects for protein.

japjap15

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:28 pm

thank you very much for the help and advice

japjap15

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am

oh. i developed 1 more question. so it's the test tube stuff. if water runs out, how do i refill it without damaging eggs and the queen?

Batspiderfish

Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:28 pm

japjap15 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:55 am
oh. i developed 1 more question. so it's the test tube stuff. if water runs out, how do i refill it without damaging eggs and the queen?
You don't refill, you just give access to another test tube, which they will move into if the old one ever becomes uncomfortable.