Proper protein?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

mallonje

Proper protein?

Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 pm

So I have no issues with feeder crickets or the ilk when my colonies get bigger. But for now I'm just dealing with a Parasitic Lasius founding setup with a tiny outworld so I was hoping to take some shortcuts.

I have a ton of alternately avalible pet foods; reptile/ hermit crab pellets, blood worms, fish flake, etc.

Has anyone had success with these alternate proteins?

I ask because I'm testing my fish based reptile pellets with one of my L. Umbratus queens and she keeps getting close and then running off. Almost like the smell hits her or something.

Batspiderfish

Re: Proper protein?

Wed May 23, 2018 8:38 am

Adult ants need fresh insects full of hemolymph because they cannot ingest solid protein sources (although larvae can.)
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.