First queen help!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

hobobot

First queen help!

Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 pm

After searching all last year with my son unsuccessfully, low and behold a queen landed on my leg as I was walking inside today.

We were ecstatic!

However we couldn't find our test tubes! And still can't.

I put the queen in a small Tupperware with a lid. It's about 4"x 4" x1".

I went to dinner with my wife and came home to find the queen has already laid 6+ eggs.

What should I do?! I still can't find my test tubes and can't seem to find them available at a local store.

I'm worried the Tupperware doesn't have the right humidity, and no vent air holes.

Do I try to make the Tupperware work? Is it bad to try and move the queen and eggs?

I love in northern Virginia and I think it's a camponatus maculatas.

https://imgur.com/a/THaWmg1

antnest8

Re: First queen help!

Thu May 10, 2018 5:41 am

people have raised queens in Tupperware before so don't worry to much.

first for humidity put a cotton ball in their and water it. Next for ventilation you can do several things. One is you can cut away some of the lid in the middle and put some mesh their or the easier way is to poke holes in the lid. (Even if they are small holes you might want to put an ant barrier around this.

after all that is done all you have to do is water the cotton and not disturb your queen. to do this you can poke another hole, over the cotton, put a barrier around it and use a syringe or some other thing to drop water in their.
keeper of
3 tetremorium queens
2 C. pennsylvanicus
1 C novaeboracensis
1 tapinoma sessile colony

hobobot

Re: First queen help!

Thu May 10, 2018 6:32 am

Thanks antnest8!

Thats what I was thinking of doing, so I really appreciate the advice.

I'll post a picture of the Tupperware tonight.

We are very excited for our first ant colony!