Introducing a worker to my colony.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Rovvov99

Re: Introducing a worker to my colony.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:11 pm

No this won't work. The worker has a different scent than your colony.She will see them as enemies and will attack them.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:54 pm

For sure don't do that! She will be attacked and killed because of her scent but also there is a very simply chance she could get to your queen and damage or kill her.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:45 pm

Introducing captured brood is called "brood boosting". You may have seen this term used here and in the ant keeping community at large. In general, it does work, but there are varying opinions on whether it should be done. Personally, I don't see a problem with it.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

ooper01
Head Moderator

Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Yes the brood will be raised as adopted sisters into the colony. They will take on the scent of the colony and should be fine.
~ ooper

Forum Moderator

Rovvov99

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:47 am

pko9157 wrote:How about introducing different species of brood?
I don't know about that, theoretically it could work. But I think the brood will just be eaten.

NashAUS

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:44 am

Excuse the ignorance guys.. but brood? I'm not familiar with the term. If there's some where else its explained, please feel free to link me or give me the thread title. Cheers in advance!

Rovvov99

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 am

NashAUS wrote:Excuse the ignorance guys.. but brood? I'm not familiar with the term. If there's some where else its explained, please feel free to link me or give me the thread title. Cheers in advance!
Brood: Eggs, larvea, and cocoons of ants

Mdrogun

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:50 pm

If you want to brood boost the ants have to be very similar or the same species. For example: I brood boosted my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony with Camponotus herculeanus brood.