How to clean inside of the nest? (+ mite problem)

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

KorSolidarity

How to clean inside of the nest? (+ mite problem)

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 pm

well, I guess this would be the beginner's mistake #1...

I currently have carpenter ant(Camponotus Atrox), with about 150-180 workers.

when i reached this number I put them into our large omni nest.

all was good, except the fact the nest was too big for 150-ish ants, they never threw the meals to the outworld(well, some they did, but most were kept in. this has been going on for what, 2 months now?).

...and now there's mite problem. So... I watched the youtube video here about mite problem, guess I could handle that using same method, but the point: IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE ANTS GET THEIR DECEASED STUFF OUT TO THE OURWORLD? or should I attmept to remove them by opening the nest manually?

edit: wow the mites are technically all over the nest.... :(
and I see my ants not drinking water much these couple of weeks... is this also the effect of mites? before then I had to change the water tube every 2 weeks.

AntsOfKentucky

Re: How to clean inside of the nest? (+ mite problem)

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:02 am

I haven't had problems with mites yet but from what I've read they aren't the easiest to get rid of. Here's a couple links to some interesting articles I've found in regards to mites. None of these links give a 100% remedy though. Seems like citric acid to dry out the mites or powdered sugar to cause the mights to lose their grip were the only natural remedy I could find.
http://www.myrmecos.net/2013/02/14/ant-mites-love-big-ants-parasitic-ants-and-they-really-really-really-like-lasius/

Although this next link is for dust mites it's quiet possible that the mites on ants would thrive or die under the same conditions as dust mites. With a low humidity, below 50%, most mites won't survive for long. Only problem is the ants may not survive either. If you could lower the humidity for a week or two you most likely will not have any eggs, larvae or pupae survive but as long as the queen and some workers make it through you should be good.
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef646

Although this next link is for the removal of mites from honeybees it might just work for ants also. Not sure what the best method for applying would be though. You could pull them all out of the nest and dust them in an out world that has a new formicarium attached to it. Most of the mites would fall off in the outworld and could then be removed.
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/powdered-sugar-dusting-sweet-and-safe-but-does-it-really-work-part-1/

AntsOfKentucky

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:06 am

Another option may be predatory mites. Their seems to be three types used to kill spider mites. They may work for mites on ants but I have yet to find anything conclusive.

Phytoseiulus persimilis is referred to by the Cornell University Extension office as “one of the mainstays of greenhouse integrated pest management.” The great thing about this species of mite is that it cleans up after itself once the spider mite population is gone—cannibalizing on each other, thus decimating their own populations.
Metaseiulus occidentalis is another common predatory mite used to kill spider mites. It is an effective biological control only if temperatures are on average between 44 degrees and 89 degrees Fahrenheit.
Phytoseiulus longpipes is essentially a variant of the Phytoseiulus persimilis mite brought in from Africa which can stand warmer ambient temperatures than its North American cousins. Longpipes is seeing a gain in popularity among gardeners who would rather deploy a biological spider mite control agent than a chemical or physical control.

ultraex2

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:32 pm

To get rid of my mites I sprayed the sides of the formicarium with bug spray and put it in a bin of Diatomaceous Earth. After a few days all the mites were gone.