Camponotus outworld?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntViking

Camponotus outworld?

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 pm

So I'm a person of very simple taste. I was hopping to just put a good bit of sand in the bottom of the outworld and maybe a pebble or 3. Any advice on if I should use any certain kind of sand? As in would there be a danger in ordering colored white sand or would it be safer and healthier for them just to go and get some off the beach? Of course their health is the most important factor here. Thx!

Fulkol

Re: Camponotus outworld?

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

You can find terrarium sand in pet stores, both ones that get sticky with water (if you want them to dig) and one that won't stick even when moist. These are usually from different deserts/sand getting sites and are chemical free, but when you get it home I advise to get a pot with water, add the sand then boil off the water and dry the sand by cooking it further ensuring you kill all bacteria and with the water before cooking you can wash the sand to remove unwanted material like twig pieces or so. The same method applies for sand collected from your area/the beach, tho it's even more recommended to do than when buying it from stores.

Serafine

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm

I used a thin sand-clay mixture for a bottom layer (0.5-1cm) and then (after the mix had dried out) added red desert sand for reptiles.

You want to have a bit of a solid bottom layer that doesn't flow around every time the formicarium is moved (I had that before and it was less than ideal).
You can also use the sand-clay mix as a mount for artificial plant decorations. I fixed the two decorations with thin plastic lines at the shelf above and cut them loose when the outworld had dried out. Now they stand on their own.

I wouldn't use colored sand as the color might be toxic to the ants, untreated sand should work well (and is also available in different colors, mine is red desert sand).

Cale3459

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm

I also like to keep things simple. I built this outworld for my Camponotus out of an old cricket container. I put some of the AntsCanada ground mix in this one with a tube going through it to simulate a nest entrance and then covered the rest in aquarium sand. I also have a more complex outworld that I used grout with a layer of dirt and sand along with a field and forest biome kit that I just finished.

xTNxANTMANx

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Serafine wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 pm
I used a thin sand-clay mixture for a bottom layer (0.5-1cm) and then (after the mix had dried out) added red desert sand for reptiles.

You want to have a bit of a solid bottom layer that doesn't flow around every time the formicarium is moved (I had that before and it was less than ideal).
You can also use the sand-clay mix as a mount for artificial plant decorations. I fixed the two decorations with thin plastic lines at the shelf above and cut them loose when the outworld had dried out. Now they stand on their own.

I wouldn't use colored sand as the color might be toxic to the ants, untreated sand should work well (and is also available in different colors, mine is red desert sand).
I must ask, where did u get the out world itself? And the tube connectors I see at the bottom?
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

AntViking

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm

Fulkol wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm
You can find terrarium sand in pet stores, both ones that get sticky with water (if you want them to dig) and one that won't stick even when moist. These are usually from different deserts/sand getting sites and are chemical free, but when you get it home I advise to get a pot with water, add the sand then boil off the water and dry the sand by cooking it further ensuring you kill all bacteria and with the water before cooking you can wash the sand to remove unwanted material like twig pieces or so. The same method applies for sand collected from your area/the beach, tho it's even more recommended to do than when buying it from stores.
Oooh I like the sound of the moisture resistant sand. Does that have a specific name?

Fulkol

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 am

Most quartz sands are this type
Pool cleaning pumps use this type of sand as a filtering medium as well

Serafine

Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:20 am

xTNxANTMANx wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:44 pm
I must ask, where did u get the out world itself? And the tube connectors I see at the bottom?
Antstore.
It wasn't too cheap but then it's pretty big (60x30x30cm) and the pre-drilled holes and the lid are nice. Currently I have the holes plugged with plastic caps but once the nests arrive I will add back the connectors.

Here's a picture with the lid on (the green circle is the current activity radius of my ants, they haven't really explored the setup yet).
Their preferred foods so far are frozen spiders and marple syrup.

AntViking wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm
Oooh I like the sound of the moisture resistant sand. Does that have a specific name?
Most Camponotus don't need (nor like) it very moist. The common "carpenter ant" Camponotus species that nest in dead wood (like pennsylvanicus) can live with air humidity levels down to 20%, which is WAY less than any normal room will ever get (20% is literally bone dry, you have to ridiculously over-aircondition your room or add a dehumidifier to reach that level). Usual room air humidity is between 35-60% and most Camponotus (except maybe the tropical ones) will do just fine under these conditions. My room humidity is typically around 40-50%. It is more likely to overwater Camponotus nests and outworlds than having them too dry.

Skylerspaw

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Nice setup!!! Give us updates.