Ants on car

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Luca91

Ants on car

Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:25 am

Hi,
I'm an aspiring ant keeper, but I have a few questions before actually getting into it. Most importantly, is it OK to transport ant colonies around the country? I often need to move for extended periods of time and wouldn't want to leave my colony unsupervised, so I was wondering if it's ok to take my ants with me on a 4-5 hour trip. Also, for how long can you leave ants without anyone to care for them?
Thanks!

Dghergejg456

Re: Ants on car

Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:37 am

Yes, as long as you do not disturb and vibrate them to much, as that may stress them out.
All the colonies that I have were flew by plane to me and arrived in good shape, so they should be fine.
Ants are better than termites lol

antperson24

Re: Ants on car

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:03 pm

Luca91 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:25 am
Hi,
I'm an aspiring ant keeper, but I have a few questions before actually getting into it. Most importantly, is it OK to transport ant colonies around the country? I often need to move for extended periods of time and wouldn't want to leave my colony unsupervised, so I was wondering if it's ok to take my ants with me on a 4-5 hour trip. Also, for how long can you leave ants without anyone to care for them?
Thanks!
Normally I don't leave mine for more than 3 or 4 days.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN