New colony choices

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Dghergejg456

New colony choices

Mon May 22, 2023 4:34 am

As you probably know, I have just started ant keeping and have brought a caponotus Queen. Because of its slow growth, I will probably buy another colony to keep me occupied. I live in Australia, and the ant shop I usually purchase from only has big headed ants, caponotus, and funnel ants in stock. Which one should I buy?
Ants are better than termites lol

antperson24

Re: New colony choices

Mon May 22, 2023 12:24 pm

Dghergejg456 wrote:
As you probably know, I have just started ant keeping and have brought a caponotus Queen. Because of its slow growth, I will probably buy another colony to keep me occupied. I live in Australia, and the ant shop I usually purchase from only has big headed ants, caponotus, and funnel ants in stock. Which one should I buy?
I would say Pheidole (big headed ants), as I have heard they're a good species to keep.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: New colony choices

Sat May 27, 2023 11:33 am

Dghergejg456 wrote:
Camponotus in Australia are not at all slow compared to other species in Europe. I would have to agree that Pheidole are a decent secondary colony.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…