Queen sugar rush

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Dghergejg456

Queen sugar rush

Tue May 16, 2023 4:57 am

I had recently fed my caponotus queen a large drop of sugar water. I fed it when the eggs were still larva, and after drinking the sugar water, the queen started to go berserk and tear at the cotton. It kept running around the test tube too. What is happening? Also the queen is fully caulstral, so i maybe should not have fed her before the workers came. Any ideas? Thanks :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ants are better than termites lol

antperson24

Re: Queen sugar rush

Tue May 16, 2023 8:46 am

Dghergejg456 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 4:57 am
I had recently fed my caponotus queen a large drop of sugar water. I fed it when the eggs were still larva, and after drinking the sugar water, the queen started to go berserk and tear at the cotton. It kept running around the test tube too. What is happening? Also the queen is fully caulstral, so i maybe should not have fed her before the workers came. Any ideas? Thanks :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think maybe she felt disturbed. Has she calmed down yet?
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Dghergejg456

Wed May 17, 2023 2:30 am

Yes.
Another reason i am concerned is that the eggs are still larvae, like when they arrived 47 days ago, although they have enlarged a bit. Although the queen is fully caulstral, I still fed her as I have said before. Is it because I am not feeding her protein, or did I mess up the process by feeding her? The queen is caponotus, so maybe it is just taking longer.
Ants are better than termites lol

antperson24

Wed May 17, 2023 12:06 pm

Dghergejg456 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:30 am
Yes.
Another reason i am concerned is that the eggs are still larvae, like when they arrived 47 days ago, although they have enlarged a bit. Although the queen is fully caulstral, I still fed her as I have said before. Is it because I am not feeding her protein, or did I mess up the process by feeding her? The queen is caponotus, so maybe it is just taking longer.
It just takes a while (1 1/2 to 2 months). Stop feeding her, that just stresses her.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN