Feeding

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Dghergejg456

Feeding

Wed May 03, 2023 2:06 am

My queen ant is probably going to need feeding soon, but the eggs are close to the entrance of the test tube, so i might kill them. I am also concerned that if there are a lot of ants in my test tube, when i open it they will rush out and escape. I only have one test tube for now. Any suggestions?
Ants are better than termites lol

RubyAntKeeper77

Re: Feeding

Wed May 03, 2023 7:49 am

Maybe try getting a test tube portal from AntsCanada and just seal the other entrances with cotton, or you could expose 1/4 of the test tube to light where the eggs are and the eggs should be moved back by the queen and or workers.
Why don’t more people like ants?
Is anyone from Wyoming who wants to sell ants?

You can email me about ants at Tucker.reynolds13@gmail.com

antperson24

Re: Feeding

Wed May 03, 2023 10:35 am

Dghergejg456 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 2:06 am
My queen ant is probably going to need feeding soon, but the eggs are close to the entrance of the test tube, so i might kill them. I am also concerned that if there are a lot of ants in my test tube, when i open it they will rush out and escape. I only have one test tube for now. Any suggestions?
It is not nessacery to have a test tube portal. You could just open the test tube and set it in a Tupperware with baby powder and rubbing alcohol painted around the top to keep the ants in (they can't climb up that). A test tube portal might be too small for your colony anyway, how big is it? You should definitely get some more test tubes, as you will eventually need to move them when the water runs out.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN