Camponotus (probably sansabeanus) lost all nanitics, any chance to save?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

asdglkjsadio

Camponotus (probably sansabeanus) lost all nanitics, any chance to save?

Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:53 pm

I have a camponotus queen, probably sansabeanus, and all the nanitics were lost. It was my mistake, I overestimated how much time the water they had would last, and by the time I realized, all the nanitics died.

The queen is still alive, several months later. She hasn't laid any more eggs.

I was wondering if there was any way to possibly save the queen. I read about brood boosting but I'm not sure I'd be able to locate any camponotus pupae in the wild. I have some lasius, not sure if that would work.

Antloverhuman

Re: Camponotus (probably sansabeanus) lost all nanitics, any chance to save?

Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:00 pm

Keep the queen in a quiet and dark place. Feed her small parts of both protein and sugars every week.

I think for camponotus, brood boosting only works for the same exact species. If you have a sansabeanus queen, then you must find a colony of c. sansabeanus and get the pupae of them.
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

antperson24

Re: Camponotus (probably sansabeanus) lost all nanitics, any chance to save?

Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:11 am

asdglkjsadio wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:53 pm
I have a camponotus queen, probably sansabeanus, and all the nanitics were lost. It was my mistake, I overestimated how much time the water they had would last, and by the time I realized, all the nanitics died.

The queen is still alive, several months later. She hasn't laid any more eggs.

I was wondering if there was any way to possibly save the queen. I read about brood boosting but I'm not sure I'd be able to locate any camponotus pupae in the wild. I have some lasius, not sure if that would work.
Make sure you move her into a new test tube, since light only stresses out Camponotus, and it is only the queen, I think the best course of action would be to hold the old test tube over the new one, and tap the old one until she falls into the new one. Since she has used all of her wing mussels in the first raising of her colony, you will need to supply her with honey, and small pieces of insets regularly so that she will be able to lay more eggs, just make sure that you keep the test tube clean so that it does not start molding.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN