Rookie forgetting the basics

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

CanadianBushwookie

Rookie forgetting the basics

Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:45 pm

Hello everyone! So I have some Lasius Niger on the way and while figuring out everything else I seem to have forgotten the most basic thing.

The dirt lol

Now I got 25acres that has no pesticides but I'm worried about pests that I might introduce to the colony

So before grabbing a 4gallon bucket of dirt I wanted to see if I should be sterilizing the dirt by baking it or if I'm just overly thinking it?

antperson24

Re: Rookie forgetting the basics

Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:06 am

CanadianBushwookie wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:45 pm
Hello everyone! So I have some Lasius Niger on the way and while figuring out everything else I seem to have forgotten the most basic thing.

The dirt lol

Now I got 25acres that has no pesticides but I'm worried about pests that I might introduce to the colony

So before grabbing a 4gallon bucket of dirt I wanted to see if I should be sterilizing the dirt by baking it or if I'm just overly thinking it?
Ya, I would sterilize.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN