Help! Queen possibly not taking care of eggs!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Fulrumm

Help! Queen possibly not taking care of eggs!

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:32 pm

My fire ant queen is WAYYY more active than I have ever seen before. This is my first colony. I also think that they (workers and queen) are not taking care of the eggs because the eggs are brown and scattered everywhere, the cotton and the test tube. Please tell me what is going on. I am a 13 and still learning all this.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Help! Queen possibly not taking care of eggs!

Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Fulrumm wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:32 pm
My fire ant queen is WAYYY more active than I have ever seen before. This is my first colony. I also think that they (workers and queen) are not taking care of the eggs because the eggs are brown and scattered everywhere, the cotton and the test tube. Please tell me what is going on. I am a 13 and still learning all this.
Your eggs molded.......

So i recomend a new test tube, and make sure you feed them carbohydrates so they have energy. Were these workers hers, or were they introduced?
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Fulrumm

Re: Help! Queen possibly not taking care of eggs!

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:12 pm

The workers are hers and I have given them a new test tube but they haven't moved in yet after a few months. This is my first time on the forum so I am still figuring it out.

Fulrumm

UPDATE!

Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:02 pm

I saw the queen carrying around a new batch of eggs when i went to feed them! :]

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: UPDATE!

Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Fulrumm wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:02 pm
I saw the queen carrying around a new batch of eggs when i went to feed them! :]
Nice, I really hope this colony does well!
When you accidentally reply to yourself…