Question for beginners

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

modernlafayette

Question for beginners

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:12 am

Hello all, I have 2 main questions if anybody is able to help. My 10 y/o son is wanting to get his own ant farm, he is exceptionally smart and loves science (test gifted in science! :D ). We live in the United States, in southwest Ohio near Dayton.

My 1st question is of the following ant species which would be good for a beginner? (we ruled out any carpenter ants as the sole request from my wife due to the fact we live in a log cabin and these are the types available from local GAN farmers). 2nd question is a follow up to the first, what outworld/kit/habitat equipment would be best for said type of ants to start off? (not the bare minimum, enough to create something fun and get his mind working but also not break the bank). Thank you all who are able to help!

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum

antperson24

Re: Question for beginners

Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:02 pm

modernlafayette wrote:
Hello all, I have 2 main questions if anybody is able to help. My 10 y/o son is wanting to get his own ant farm, he is exceptionally smart and loves science (test gifted in science! :D ). We live in the United States, in southwest Ohio near Dayton.

My 1st question is of the following ant species which would be good for a beginner? (we ruled out any carpenter ants as the sole request from my wife due to the fact we live in a log cabin and these are the types available from local GAN farmers). 2nd question is a follow up to the first, what outworld/kit/habitat equipment would be best for said type of ants to start off? (not the bare minimum, enough to create something fun and get his mind working but also not break the bank). Thank you all who are able to help!

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum
Laius neoniger would be the best. Are you going to catch a queen, or buy one from a GAN farmer? If you are going to catch one, you will need to have test tube setup here is how to do that:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfzUILyCz8o&t=13s&ab_channel=AntsCanada You will also want a Tar heel ants mini hearth, for once the first workers arrive.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

modernlafayette

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:44 am

antperson24 wrote:
modernlafayette wrote:

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum
Laius neoniger would be the best. Are you going to catch a queen, or buy one from a GAN farmer? If you are going to catch one, you will need to have test tube setup here is how to do that:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfzUILyCz8o&t=13s&ab_channel=AntsCanada You will also want a Tar heel ants mini hearth, for once the first workers arrive.
We plan on buying from a GAN farmer. As for the Tar heel ants mini hearth, is there a particular one? I'm looking at their site now and their seem to be a few different kinds or is it personal preference?

antperson24

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:03 pm

modernlafayette wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:44 am
antperson24 wrote:
modernlafayette wrote:

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum
We plan on buying from a GAN farmer. As for the Tar heel ants mini hearth, is there a particular one? I'm looking at their site now and their seem to be a few different kinds or is it personal preference?
Ok, any of these should be good:https://tarheelants.com/collections/ready-to-ship-mini-hearths-standard
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:13 am

modernlafayette wrote:

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum
No Temnothorax I would say, very small and hard to observe. Crematogaster is okay, but escape artist. I would actually recommend soil dwelling Camponotus, like C. Floridanus or C. Americanus.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

modernlafayette

Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:52 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
modernlafayette wrote:

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum
No Temnothorax I would say, very small and hard to observe. Crematogaster is okay, but escape artist. I would actually recommend soil dwelling Camponotus, like C. Floridanus or C. Americanus.

Not getting carpenter ants is the one request my wife had considering we live in a log cabin. We are looking in to Formica and Lasius.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:47 pm

modernlafayette wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:52 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
modernlafayette wrote:

Formica fusca
Formica argentea
Temnothorax
Lasius americanus
Lasius neoniger
Solenopsis molesta
Crematogaster sp
Monomorium minimum

Not getting carpenter ants is the one request my wife had considering we live in a log cabin. We are looking in to Formica and Lasius.
Who doesn’t love Formica? Formica is easier to see and queens are silverish, which is neat.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…