PLEASE HELP new to keeping and has made a big mistake i think

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

AntsRCoolMan

PLEASE HELP new to keeping and has made a big mistake i think

Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:22 pm

Hey i got my first ever ant colony 3-4 days ago, its a lasius flavus queen, yesterday i got really anxious because i didnt have any cotton bapls to make a new test tube setup and the test tube she was in had very little water in it and the water was going a cloudy white, i paniced and decided to force the queen to move into my ant nest setup as i believed i had no choice, the queen appears to be unharmed and has been exploring the nest but ive seen no signs of eggs being layed yet it may be because she is stressed but im not sure ive left her in the dark for a day and checked up on her about 10 minutes ago to make sure the move didnt injure her or scare her to death, should i just leave her in the dark for a few more days and check up on her within a week? Im very worried. Thanks in advance...

AntsRCoolMan

Re: PLEASE HELP new to keeping and has made a big mistake i think

Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:25 pm

Also the nest setup is a corc base with red plexiglass on top to simulate the dark just incase that helps

antperson24

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:48 pm

AntsRCoolMan wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:22 pm
Hey i got my first ever ant colony 3-4 days ago, its a lasius flavus queen, yesterday i got really anxious because i didnt have any cotton bapls to make a new test tube setup and the test tube she was in had very little water in it and the water was going a cloudy white, i paniced and decided to force the queen to move into my ant nest setup as i believed i had no choice, the queen appears to be unharmed and has been exploring the nest but ive seen no signs of eggs being layed yet it may be because she is stressed but im not sure ive left her in the dark for a day and checked up on her about 10 minutes ago to make sure the move didnt injure her or scare her to death, should i just leave her in the dark for a few more days and check up on her within a week? Im very worried. Thanks in advance...
Just keep her dark, it probably was not the best choice to do what you did, but don't try moving her back as this will cause more stress.

I hope this helps. :)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

AntsRCoolMan

Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:06 am

Ok thanks for the advice

antperson24

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:06 am

AntsRCoolMan wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:06 am
Ok thanks for the advice
Your welcome!
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN