Queen not laying eggs?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Ejjsne

Queen not laying eggs?

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:57 pm

I've had my colony for about a month and a half now and recently, I've noticed that the queen doesn't seem to be laying any eggs. There are 2 larvae still developing in their test tube and they are growing fine, but I haven't noticed any new eggs. The colony is about 30 ants strong and while I haven't been feeding them protein recently, I've given them a dead spider about 4 days ago and sugar water to go with it. My ants are also not drinking water from their test tubes it seems, a problem that arose when I changed out their water test tube cause it was growing mold. I don't know what to do.

The species is Formica Fusca btw.

JaydenScheepers

Re: Queen not laying eggs?

Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:25 pm

Ejjsne wrote:
I've had my colony for about a month and a half now and recently, I've noticed that the queen doesn't seem to be laying any eggs. There are 2 larvae still developing in their test tube and they are growing fine, but I haven't noticed any new eggs. The colony is about 30 ants strong and while I haven't been feeding them protein recently, I've given them a dead spider about 4 days ago and sugar water to go with it. My ants are also not drinking water from their test tubes it seems, a problem that arose when I changed out their water test tube cause it was growing mold. I don't know what to do.

So they are currently being housed inside a test tube, is that right?
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

antperson24

Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:59 am

Ejjsne wrote:

Formica fusca wont hibernate with brood, so this is perfectly natural. :)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Ejjsne

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Are they hibernating? I haven't really introduced them to a colder environment yet. They are still in their test tubes with a small outworld and an ac portal connected.

JaydenScheepers

Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:06 pm

Ejjsne wrote:
Are they hibernating? I haven't really introduced them to a colder environment yet. They are still in their test tubes with a small outworld and an ac portal connected.
I don't have hibernating species nor do I live in a place where ants need to hibernate, but I think they have an internal clock that tells them when their supposed to prep for hibernation.
Keeping:

• Cataulacus granulatus x2
• Camponotus parius
• Odontomachus sp x4
• Pheidole prava x1
• Pseudoneoponera sp x1

antperson24

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:09 am

Ejjsne wrote:
They probably aren’t hibernating yet, but they are probably preparing to. In early November you should put them in a refrigerator at 40 deg. F. Until March.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:08 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Ejjsne wrote:
They probably aren’t hibernating yet, but they are probably preparing to. In early November you should put them in a refrigerator at 40 deg. F. Until March.
I put my subsericea in yesterday. If they have full gasters and little brood, you can hibernate them now.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
Ejjsne wrote:
I put my subsericea in yesterday. If they have full gasters and little brood, you can hibernate them now.
Ok, would it be better to hibernate sooner than later, or does it really matter?

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 am

antperson24 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:16 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
antperson24 wrote:

Ok, would it be better to hibernate sooner than later, or does it really matter?
If they have almost 0 brood(if they have plenty of brood normally) then it is safe to put them in diapause. Timing really doesn’t matter though.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…