Harvester ants! Please help

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Amyalgahim

Harvester ants! Please help

Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:37 pm

Before knowing more than we should have, we ordered what we thought were innocent ants. After reading further, they are harvester ants. We read that they can/will bite and burn/very painful. We bought these online at Amazon, a place called Insect Lore Store. We bought these for our 6yo. And now I'm worried that if he bumps it or the dogs do, or if he just gets curious, he will get bite and have a horrible reaction, possibly worse. Please help with any information for the ants.

antperson24

Re: Harvester ants! Please help

Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:30 pm

Amyalgahim wrote:
Before knowing more than we should have, we ordered what we thought were innocent ants. After reading further, they are harvester ants. We read that they can/will bite and burn/very painful. We bought these online at Amazon, a place called Insect Lore Store. We bought these for our 6yo. And now I'm worried that if he bumps it or the dogs do, or if he just gets curious, he will get bite and have a horrible reaction, possibly worse. Please help with any information for the ants.
Well, as long as they are in an enclosure and he dose not open it it should be fine. If you decide you don't won't them DO NOT
RELEASE THEM!
This could be very bad for the ecosystem, if you don't want them, then freeze them for at least 24 hours. But over all I would not be too concerned about him getting bit.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:21 am

antperson24 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:30 pm
Amyalgahim wrote:
Well, as long as they are in an enclosure and he dose not open it it should be fine. If you decide you don't won't them DO NOT
RELEASE THEM!
This could be very bad for the ecosystem, if you don't want them, then freeze them for at least 24 hours. But over all I would not be too concerned about him getting bit.
If they get loose it won't be a big deal. They won't come with a queen, which means they can't produce females
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Amyalgahim

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:44 am

Thank you guys for your input! I really appreciate it and feel more at ease.

antperson24

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:52 am

Amyalgahim wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:44 am
Thank you guys for your input! I really appreciate it and feel more at ease.
Your welcome! :)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN