New ant colony placing Eggs and Pupae in Honey

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Jeremiah90

New ant colony placing Eggs and Pupae in Honey

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:57 pm

Hello,

I am completely new to ant keeping. My colony has 7 workers. I gave them a small drop of honey for their first meal. I started realizing their were putting all the eggs and Pupae in the honey. They have yet to hatch and I believe they are all dead. Unfortunately, I forced them into a new test tube to stop this. Should I try to move the brood? It will be extremely tough because of the honey. If I don't move it, will the queen continue to lay eggs in the new test tube?

Thank you!!

antperson24

Re: New ant colony placing Eggs and Pupae in Honey

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:39 am

Jeremiah90 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:57 pm
Hello,

I am completely new to ant keeping. My colony has 7 workers. I gave them a small drop of honey for their first meal. I started realizing their were putting all the eggs and Pupae in the honey. They have yet to hatch and I believe they are all dead. Unfortunately, I forced them into a new test tube to stop this. Should I try to move the brood? It will be extremely tough because of the honey. If I don't move it, will the queen continue to lay eggs in the new test tube?

Thank you!!
You might need to attach a AC test tube portal:https://www.AntsCanada.com/shop/ac-test-tube-portal/ They probably didn't have enough space in their test tube, and the brood accidently got pushed in. No I would not recommend moving the brood as it is probably all dead, and if it is not, it will probably be killed being moved, also your queen will lay more eggs.

I hope this helps! ;)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN