school project questions (species)

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

antPWS

school project questions (species)

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:13 pm

Hi there!
I'm from The Netherlands, so in advance sorry for my bad English. I don't know if I made this topic in the correct category? If not, feel free to move it!

I need to do a project for school and I chose to experiment with ants. And now I have a few questions about it.

I want to experiment with ants and their pheromone trails (fastest path). Something like the Double Bridge Experiment, in context with Ant Colony Optimization (ACO). I caught 5 Lasius niger queens and they have between 5-15 workers, but that's not nearly enough to experiment with. I also had a little Lasius flavus colony, but they never really grew and when I was away for 3 weeks (no worries they got fed) the queen died :(. My question is, could I use Messor barbarus for this experiment? They are the easiest to get hold of "second-hand", with bigger colonies not being to pricey. And if I could use Messor barbarus, how big of a colony would I need (worker wise)?

If you know other fun pheromone experiment please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: school project questions (species)

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:57 am

antPWS wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:13 pm
Hi there!
I'm from The Netherlands, so in advance sorry for my bad English. I don't know if I made this topic in the correct category? If not, feel free to move it!

I need to do a project for school and I chose to experiment with ants. And now I have a few questions about it.

I want to experiment with ants and their pheromone trails (fastest path). Something like the Double Bridge Experiment, in context with Ant Colony Optimization (ACO). I caught 5 Lasius niger queens and they have between 5-15 workers, but that's not nearly enough to experiment with. I also had a little Lasius flavus colony, but they never really grew and when I was away for 3 weeks (no worries they got fed) the queen died :(. My question is, could I use Messor barbarus for this experiment? They are the easiest to get hold of "second-hand", with bigger colonies not being to pricey. And if I could use Messor barbarus, how big of a colony would I need (worker wise)?

If you know other fun pheromone experiment please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Pheronomes can be quite hard to detect. I would suggest a larger colony, but I have heard messor is hard to keep contained when they mature. Most 1000 worker colonies will form foraging trails which would make it much easier.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antPWS

Re: school project questions (species)

Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:31 pm

Thank you for your reply!

Made the same topic in Ant Care and Ant Keeping cause I didn't know if I made it in the correct category. So sorry if I replied quite late, was mainly replying in my other topic 😅.

Do you think 400-500 workers in a Messor barbarus colony could work? Saw one about that size for sale somewhere.

What do you mean with hard to contain when they mature?

Sorry for all the questions 😅