How to use AC testube portal.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antlover41157

How to use AC testube portal.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:07 pm

My new Camponotus colony just gained two nianitics,(last time I checked a week ago they we'rent there) I do have an AC testube portal, should I attack the Portal and feed them? Also once attached is the testube exposed or is both of them still kept in the dark? Final question, can I check on them more then once weekly now that the workers are here?

antperson24

Re: How to use AC testube portal.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Antlover41157 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:07 pm
My new Camponotus colony just gained two nianitics,(last time I checked a week ago they we'rent there) I do have an AC testube portal, should I attack the Portal and feed them? Also once attached is the testube exposed or is both of them still kept in the dark? Final question, can I check on them more then once weekly now that the workers are here?
They probably won't eat for a few more days, because the new workers exoskeletons will still be hardening. Once you attach the test tube portal keep the nest dark for sure, I don't know if keeping the out world dark is necessary (I don't keep it dark). Also yes you can check on them more often now.
I hope you find this helpful! :)
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Antlover41157

Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:14 pm

Oh thx I realized I didn't put an adapter and checked on them again and a new worker came out of the cocoon! yeah I thinl they wont eat for a while since they're probably fresh out of the cocoon.

antperson24

Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:23 am

Antlover41157 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:14 pm
Oh thx I realized I didn't put an adapter and checked on them again and a new worker came out of the cocoon! yeah I thinl they wont eat for a while since they're probably fresh out of the cocoon.
Ya, I would defiantly use an adapter, because the test tube can easily fall off other wise, and you probably don't want a loose Camponotus colony in your house! :lol: It is so exiting (especially with Camponotus) when more workers start coming out of their cocoons! :D
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN