Moved tubes egg laying stopped

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

BeaverCleaver

Moved tubes egg laying stopped

Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:07 am

Caught 2 queens of lasius flava genus. One succumbed to mold, the second I had to force into a new test tube. Because of said mold, she wouldn't move with light or heat.

The queen and all of her 6 nanintics survived the big forced move but she hasn't laid eggs in weeks now and it's scaring the crap out of me. I'm worried she's been over stressed from me surgically removing each worker and the queen from the mold infested test tube.

I've tried feeding them sliced meal worm on a piece of tinfoil on their new test tube, the queens gastor has gained some mass since then but still no eggs.

This is my 3rd time failing getting a colony going and it's going to pain me waiting another year to catch some more. I've noticed In my past failures the queens just die if they don't lay eggs for a period of time.

Am I doomed again?

RespectforAnts

Re: Moved tubes egg laying stopped

Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:25 pm

I know Camponotus lay eggs in batches but its lasius so I don't think thats the case, the fact that her gaster has swelled probably means she has either been eating or is going to lay eggs, I am by no means an expert so I do not comepletely know whats wrong with her (if anything is wrong) but she could just still be stressed because all the pheromones that made her feel safe inthe old test tube are gone and its new, like moving into a new house.
C. Novaeboracensis (my favorite ant
C. Pennsylvannicus x2
Tetramorium Immigrans x2

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Moved tubes egg laying stopped

Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:52 pm

BeaverCleaver wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:07 am
Caught 2 queens of lasius flava genus. One succumbed to mold, the second I had to force into a new test tube. Because of said mold, she wouldn't move with light or heat.

The queen and all of her 6 nanintics survived the big forced move but she hasn't laid eggs in weeks now and it's scaring the crap out of me. I'm worried she's been over stressed from me surgically removing each worker and the queen from the mold infested test tube.

I've tried feeding them sliced meal worm on a piece of tinfoil on their new test tube, the queens gastor has gained some mass since then but still no eggs.

This is my 3rd time failing getting a colony going and it's going to pain me waiting another year to catch some more. I've noticed In my past failures the queens just die if they don't lay eggs for a period of time.

Am I doomed again?
I got unlucky with my first Invicta queen, the one of the most adaptive ants ever. She never laid eggs after nantics. Some queens have "bad genes" which is killed off in the wild due to lack of egg laying. In captivity, nantics can die.

Your ants however, Hibernate. Sometimes queens wait until after hibernation to lay eggs.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…