Caught 4 queens, black garden ants "Lasius niger" need info on how to keep them

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Yaboijax

Caught 4 queens, black garden ants "Lasius niger" need info on how to keep them

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:59 pm

I caught 4 queens yesterday, Monday august 1st, had no clue there was a nuptial flight till I saw a lot of dead male elates everywhere. I believe they are 'Lasius niger' ants, usually known as black garden ants. I have them individually in small containers In a dark drawer with a drop of honey, and a drop of water. I haven't kept ants before, and I'd like to know if this species fasts during the founding stage, or if I should supply them with more food and water. Also, I'd love any tips, or advice with how to take care of them, if you do please let me know.

antperson24

Re: Caught 4 queens, black garden ants "Lasius niger" need info on how to keep them

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:47 pm

Yaboijax wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:59 pm
I caught 4 queens yesterday, Monday august 1st, had no clue there was a nuptial flight till I saw a lot of dead male elates everywhere. I believe they are 'Lasius niger' ants, usually known as black garden ants. I have them individually in small containers In a dark drawer with a drop of honey, and a drop of water. I haven't kept ants before, and I'd like to know if this species fasts during the founding stage, or if I should supply them with more food and water. Also, I'd love any tips, or advice with how to take care of them, if you do please let me know.
This species is fully claustral, witch means they do not fast. Also you should put her in a test tube setup, here is a video showing how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfzUILyCz8o&ab_channel=AntsCanada
I have kept this species before so here is a tip: These are very small ants so don't move them into a nest to soon.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Yaboijax

Re: Caught 4 queens, black garden ants "Lasius niger" need info on how to keep them

Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:43 pm

Thank you, how long should I leave them be? Is there a certain amount of time that they can't be disturbed?

Yaboijax

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:25 am

And, do you know if this is a hybernating species?
It's late summer, and I live in northern utah, if that accounts for anything.

Yaboijax

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:30 pm

Sorry for spamming so much, but how should I feed them? Just a little drop of honey? Or maybe more so I don't have to replace it often?

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:14 pm

Yaboijax wrote:
Not L. Niger. They don’t exist in North America. Probably L. Neoniger, but same care. Yes, they do hibernate or go into diapause.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:26 am

Yaboijax wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:43 pm
Thank you, how long should I leave them be? Is there a certain amount of time that they can't be disturbed?
Normally you should only check them about once a week at the most.

antperson24

Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:29 am

Yaboijax wrote:
Sorry for spamming so much, but how should I feed them? Just a little drop of honey? Or maybe more so I don't have to replace it often?
Well, if she does not have any workers, you don't need to feed her at all until the first few workers come.

antkid365

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:38 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:14 pm
Yaboijax wrote:
Not L. Niger. They don’t exist in North America. Probably L. Neoniger, but same care. Yes, they do hibernate or go into diapause.

I thought L.niger did hibernate but yeah, they arent in North America i dont think
Ant colonies I own:
Lasius Niger colony x2

antkid365

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:43 am

antperson24 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:29 am
Yaboijax wrote:
Well, if she does not have any workers, you don't need to feed her at all until the first few workers come.
I fed my founding lasius queens a tiny drop of honey and then i only fed them again once they had workers, but they dont need food until they have workers. I fed mine just so they had a bit of energy after nuptial flight.
Ant colonies I own:
Lasius Niger colony x2