New To Ant Keeping and Caught Unknown Species Queen

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

seadawg84

New To Ant Keeping and Caught Unknown Species Queen

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello, just caught a queen ant today after a huge storm rolled through. It was in my blueberry bush's pot and was trying to get out (couldn't seem to be able to climb the sides). I have no idea what species it is, and this App I have on my phone can't decide either, lol. I would love to try to start a colony with it. However, need to know if it is one of those ant species that needs me to add some food as well as the water during the colony founding phase. Further information, I live in Winona Lake, Indiana. It is located in the north/north central area of Indiana. One thing that's strange is that one of the species the App I used can't decide between is Red Imported Fire Ant. But that's impossible this far north, right? I have some pictures, but the site won't let me attach them. How do I go about doing that so that you all can actually help in identifying this ant queen?

seadawg84

Re: New To Ant Keeping and Caught Unknown Species Queen

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:42 pm

I found the ant identification forum. I'll be back on this forum after I find out what species I caught.

seadawg84

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:02 pm

As it turns out, I caught either a Pheidole Pilifera or Pheidole Bicarinata queen. How should I go about the colony founding phase for her? I didn't have a test tube to put her in, so she is in a small container with a soaked cotton ball and placed in dark drawer that I almost never open. I did order a test tube from the AntsCanada store. But that probably won't get here until she's already laid her eggs...

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:48 pm

seadawg84 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:02 pm
As it turns out, I caught either a Pheidole Pilifera or Pheidole Bicarinata queen. How should I go about the colony founding phase for her? I didn't have a test tube to put her in, so she is in a small container with a soaked cotton ball and placed in dark drawer that I almost never open. I did order a test tube from the AntsCanada store. But that probably won't get here until she's already laid her eggs...
Give her a layer of damp substrate(Not more than 3mm), and leave her in the dark. Then, she will begin egg laying.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

seadawg84

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:20 pm

So, it's been 3 days since I last checked in on my queen Pheidole sp. and SHE HAS EGGS!!! Yay!! And are some of those actually larva?

https://imgur.com/DXTq63x

seadawg84

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:35 pm

(took too long to edit the post, so now having to reply again)

https://imgur.com/41rQF5Z

Also, I did as was said and put a layer of damp substrate (not more than 3mm deep). I left the soaked cotton ball in there too, but she dug out her claustral chamber in the dirt at the opposite end of the small container she's in. Should I move the cotton ball closer to the chamber's opening? Or is it fine as is?

https://imgur.com/5Vudtb8

My last question (for now) is: When her nanitics are done eclosing in a few/several weeks, how should I go about getting her/them into a setup that has the ability to attach a test tube with sugar water in it? Can I just shake the whole small container into an AntsCanada test tube portal? Or should I go ahead and order the ant tower small and gently lay the current container on its side (as they can't craw up the sides) and let them make the decision to move out when they are ready (obviously I would wait to put the current container into the tower until after at least a few nanitics have eclosed)?

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:36 pm

seadawg84 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:20 pm
So, it's been 3 days since I last checked in on my queen Pheidole sp. and SHE HAS EGGS!!! Yay!! And are some of those actually larva?

https://imgur.com/DXTq63x
If they aren’t, they are certainly close to hatching

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:37 pm

seadawg84 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:35 pm
(took too long to edit the post, so now having to reply again)

https://imgur.com/41rQF5Z

Also, I did as was said and put a layer of damp substrate (not more than 3mm deep). I left the soaked cotton ball in there too, but she dug out her claustral chamber in the dirt at the opposite end of the small container she's in. Should I move the cotton ball closer to the chamber's opening? Or is it fine as is?

https://imgur.com/5Vudtb8

My last question (for now) is: When her nanitics are done eclosing in a few/several weeks, how should I go about getting her/them into a setup that has the ability to attach a test tube with sugar water in it? Can I just shake the whole small container into an AntsCanada test tube portal? Or should I go ahead and order the ant tower small and gently lay the current container on its side (as they can't craw up the sides) and let them make the decision to move out when they are ready (obviously I would wait to put the current container into the tower until after at least a few nanitics have eclosed)?
I would not use AC nest. Many people have said they break easy. I would use something like buckeye myrmecology or make your own plaster nest. Don’t dump Camponotus. It stresses them, and may lead to brood eating.

seadawg84

Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:46 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't go with an AC nest either, but the I've heard only good things about the tower. Unless you've heard differently? And you mean Pheidole sp ants shouldn't be dumped and would cause brood to be eaten?

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:25 pm

seadawg84 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:46 pm
Yeah, I wouldn't go with an AC nest either, but the I've heard only good things about the tower. Unless you've heard differently? And you mean Pheidole sp ants shouldn't be dumped and would cause brood to be eaten?
Oh I was in a rush, my bad. It’s even worse for Pheidole. The queen usually never settles in, and sometimes the workers don’t care for her after it. If your goal is to see the queen, an AC tower would probably limit visibility to only brood. It would also be a year or two before they need to move in