Queen ant too active?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Ejjsne

Queen ant too active?

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:22 pm

I have recently purchased a Formica Fusca colony in the San Jose area. I am currently keeping them in an ac test tube setup with a water test and a sugar water test tube attached, along with the nest itself. My queen seems to be very active, often moving to the exit of the nest. I don’t know if this is bad or if this is typical behavior. This is also my first colony, the colony itself has around 15-20 workers

Ejjsne

Re: Queen ant too active?

Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:26 pm

It may be because that I am checking on them maybe a little too much? The workers seem to pick up larvae and eggs whenever I check on them. However whenever I do check on them, more often than not the queen is up and about.

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:36 pm

Ejjsne wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:26 pm
It may be because that I am checking on them maybe a little too much? The workers seem to pick up larvae and eggs whenever I check on them. However whenever I do check on them, more often than not the queen is up and about.
Don’t worry, Formica Fusca are jumpy. Many queens will actually run away when the nest is disturbed, I check on mine once every few days and they do this.

I have Formica subsericea…same color care, etc.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Ejjsne

Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:38 am

Thanks! Actually now that you say it, every time I do check on them, they do seem to be a bit jumpy. Thanks for your help!