Lost two eggs when transferring a new queen to a proper test tube setup

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

anonalt

Lost two eggs when transferring a new queen to a proper test tube setup

Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:31 pm

I caught a new queen two days ago, but I didn't have a proper test tube, so I put her in a makeshift setup in an opaque plastic tube. When I got a glass test tube I decided to transfer her but I didn't notice she already laid two eggs. During my attempt to move the eggs to a third setup they got lost. How much will this set the colony back? It's a black carpenter ant, and I don't know how many eggs first batch is, or how many workers the queen needs to produce to survive at the start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Lost two eggs when transferring a new queen to a proper test tube setup

Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:33 pm

anonalt wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:31 pm
I caught a new queen two days ago, but I didn't have a proper test tube, so I put her in a makeshift setup in an opaque plastic tube. When I got a glass test tube I decided to transfer her but I didn't notice she already laid two eggs. During my attempt to move the eggs to a third setup they got lost. How much will this set the colony back? It's a black carpenter ant, and I don't know how many eggs first batch is, or how many workers the queen needs to produce to survive at the start. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
It shouldn’t affect you much, maybe delay works by a week, but otherwise, she should be fine. Good luck! ;)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…