Mold outbreak

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Ares9738

Mold outbreak

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:07 am

I have a large ac ant tower with an ant colony and bioactive soil. The top half is doing really well, with tons of spring tails, isopods, the ants, and a few other soil creatures. The reservoir at the bottom of my setup isn't doing as well and has a large mold outbreak; I'm not sure what to do. The mold hasn't moved into the setup visibly yet, I assume because of the springtail army but they can't get in the reservoir. I was thinking about adding a small amount of vinegar to the water but I couldn't find much on how this would impact the ants. Any advice would be appreciated.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Mold outbreak

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:46 pm

Ares9738 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:07 am
I have a large ac ant tower with an ant colony and bioactive soil. The top half is doing really well, with tons of spring tails, isopods, the ants, and a few other soil creatures. The reservoir at the bottom of my setup isn't doing as well and has a large mold outbreak; I'm not sure what to do. The mold hasn't moved into the setup visibly yet, I assume because of the springtail army but they can't get in the reservoir. I was thinking about adding a small amount of vinegar to the water but I couldn't find much on how this would impact the ants. Any advice would be appreciated.
Pretty sure vinegar removes ants pheromone trails…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…