Recently found Camponotus queens help please.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antioch

Recently found Camponotus queens help please.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:38 pm

I have found some Camponotus queens over the last several days, I think they are modoc. They are currently in small Tupperware containers with a bit of moist cotton and I gave them each a couple of Q-Tips soaked in sugar water in case it might help. I don't have test tubes and can't find them locally, I have ordered some online but they won't be here for several days and by that time some of the queens will have been in captivity for up to 5 days. Will it cause them undue stress if I move them at that point and should I instead try to get them into some less ideal but permanent home earlier? Any suggestions or guidance on how I can optimize their chances? Thank you!

Antloverhuman

Re: Recently found Camponotus queens help please.

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:46 pm

I would suggest keeping them in the container until the tt arrives, and then shift them in the tt. I don't think it will cause alot of stress. If they have layed eggs by then, you can use moist q tip to scoop them and transfer the eggs to the test tube
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

Antioch

Re: Recently found Camponotus queens help please.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will transfer them when the test tubes arrive and hope for the best!