South Bend, Indiana queen hunting.

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

ZeroAzrith

South Bend, Indiana queen hunting.

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:15 pm

Hi im new to ant keeping and im having trouble finding queens, i live in South Bend, Indiana. Is it to early for the nuptial flight or am i just not doing it right? I walk around my naberhood and see louds of workers and soldier ants but no queens. Please help 😥

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: South Bend, Indiana queen hunting.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:29 am

ZeroAzrith wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:15 pm
Hi im new to ant keeping and im having trouble finding queens, i live in South Bend, Indiana. Is it to early for the nuptial flight or am i just not doing it right? I walk around my naberhood and see louds of workers and soldier ants but no queens. Please help 😥
It could be the species locally have not flown yet. What time do you walk? The best times in my area are during sunset or sunrise. Also, if there are stones, try lifting small rocks and putting them back as queens will go under them to raise brood.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…