HELP!

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Arca711

HELP!

Wed May 25, 2022 12:54 am

So, I was just going about my day, and I saw what looks like a queen ant on my desk, just on my notebook. Bam. Just like that. I got it in a test tube with a bit of moist cotton at the end, and I tried to feed it some honey, but I think she got her wings stuck in them. Is there any way I can help her get free? What should I do? I don't have any sort of experience with this stuff, so I really need help. I'm not sure if there's something I can do at this point, I think I probably made some huge mistake. Can anyone help? Thanks so much!

Arca711

Re: HELP!

Wed May 25, 2022 1:13 am

Okay, so, update. I think I finally got her free, she's walking around now and her wings are still sticky but she appears to be walking around regularly. Where do I go from here? I put her in a darker place, hopefully she'll be better by the morning

Antloverhuman

Wed May 25, 2022 1:33 am

You don't need to worry about her that much. She will probably shed her wings and be fine. Just put her in a dark place and don't disturb her. Also make sure that the cotton is moist so she can drink water
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:33 am
You don't need to worry about her that much. She will probably shed her wings and be fine. Just put her in a dark place and don't disturb her. Also make sure that the cotton is moist so she can drink water
True, I had queens who almost drowned, and they drank off their wings after being freed :lol:
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Arca711

Wed May 25, 2022 11:01 am

Oh, phew, I’ll make sure the cotton is moist, and I’ve left her in a dark cupboard. Hopefully she’ll do okay!

Antloverhuman

Wed May 25, 2022 11:09 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:43 am

True, I had queens who almost drowned, and they drank off their wings after being freed :lol:
When i had a colony of black crazy ants living under my kitchen sink, i would frequently "drown" the foraging ants for fun, and the ants would literally drink all the water and walk away screaming (don't ask why i drowned ants that are native)
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony