New to ant keeping

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Shadowz

New to ant keeping

Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 am

Hey AntsCanada!

Me and my daughter (6 years old) would like to start an adventure beginning our own ant colony, now we are new to keeping ants so we dont know anything about it, we have been browsing for easy ants to keep and would love to start with a carpenter species, not sure if its the best so if any suggestions im all ears. Also i asume each species needs their own environment, wich formicarium would be best, and if we buy a starters kit at the AntsCanada shop does it include a starters queen? And do you have sum tips&tricks for starters like us?

Thx.
Greetz,
Sjors + liana

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: New to ant keeping

Tue May 17, 2022 7:03 am

Shadowz wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:05 am
Hey AntsCanada!

Me and my daughter (6 years old) would like to start an adventure beginning our own ant colony, now we are new to keeping ants so we dont know anything about it, we have been browsing for easy ants to keep and would love to start with a carpenter species, not sure if its the best so if any suggestions im all ears. Also i asume each species needs their own environment, wich formicarium would be best, and if we buy a starters kit at the AntsCanada shop does it include a starters queen? And do you have sum tips&tricks for starters like us?

Thx.
Greetz,
Sjors + liana
Well, if I am correct off google maps, Geel is in Belgium. I recommend Lasius Niger, or something similar. They grow slowly, are not aggressive(Cant even sting or bite), and will eat almost anything. Camponotus are also a good starter species! They may have a slightly more constricted diet, but not anything too difficult. Camponotus are great for beginners, as they are very easy to see and observe, although they do spray a Formic acid. It’s really up to you, as they are both great starters and don’t grow very fast(Meaning you won’t need a new nest every few months). I suggest whatever queens you see in your yard, so you can safely release them. You can check the GAN project on AntsCanada.com. If no one replies to you, you can look at ant store, though I’m not aware of where they ship to.

(Antsluxembourg needs to be the one to tell of Messor B.)

As for a formicarium idea, it’s best to use companies near you as they don’t take a long time to ship(And are a bit cheaper!) Antstore sells nests, but it really depends on the species you choose.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antkid365

Re: New to ant keeping

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:22 pm

I have lasius niger and they have been the best starter colony. I really recommend this species for a first colony, they are so easy to keep
Ant colonies I own:
Lasius Niger colony x2