Methods to catch queen ants

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Antoniomisztal

Methods to catch queen ants

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 am

If you are reading this i am new to Ant farming and also I need tips to where to look and what kinds of methods there is to catching a queen ant.
The keeper of Solenopsis geminata

Nathant

Re: Methods to catch queen ants

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:31 pm

I find a bunch under rocks and logs, and bring a couple collection vials with me as well as featherweight forceps for grabbing them without harm. You can literally find them just wandering around, though. Not as complicated as you think. Good luck and happy anting! :)
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

larynx

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:56 pm

My favorite place to look (also the place i catch 95% of my queens, ) is along the cement curb that follows the edge of most parking lots and roads. I find it is easier to see queens because they are usually dark colored, and the cement is a light color. This way there is contrast, and the eye catches it easier.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

Antoniomisztal

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks for the types of methods you both use hopefully you catch more types of ants
The keeper of Solenopsis geminata

Phimadams

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:35 pm

I have a concrete parking pad 5 feet from my front door. My kids ride their bikes out there and are always looking. We literally caught about 80 queens in 2 hours one day. I bought a 100 pack of test tubes from amazon. I tell my wife all the time....I have the most fun with my kids when we are out there catching ants...and they love it!