Help on info on my area in North Carolina

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

Vampiriev

Help on info on my area in North Carolina

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:06 pm

Hello all,
So I am new to all this and was hopping someone could point me in the right direction on some info.

So some info first: I have the handbook and have read over it several times. I also have found what species are found in the state, and when there nuptial flights take place. I have also researched some species that I would like to go for.

My main problem is that most of the info I find is for or bast the coast or Piedmont/sand hills of NC. While I myself am as far in the blue ridge mountains as you can get. Which for my biodiversity and places to go looking is great! I know what to look for with weather and time of the year, however I would like to have a little better understand of my region. I know it might seem silly and maybe I am over thinking things. But with the elevation differences and the colder temperatures. Compared to the other parts of the state didn't think more info was a bad idea.

My target species at the moment is: Prenolepis imparis I know they will be flying soon here and I just want to have the best chance possible of finding a queen.

Thanks for any info guys!

Nathant

Re: Help on info on my area in North Carolina

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 pm

I have a tip for Prenolepis imparis:

I find the colonies all the time in dead tree stumps, so you might be able to find some just-flew queens in them. Of course, their behavior may change where you live because I don't live too close to you but more than likely that will not change much.
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Batspiderfish

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Antmaps is an excellent resource for distribution data:
http://antmaps.org/?

And here is an exert from the fledgling nuptial flight database I've been working on, sorting results by elevation, from NC, SC, GA, and TN:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Pcwjl6XsJWRm9KQXN4T3B3NEE
It's been converted to HTML, so Google drive doesn't really know what to do with it. After downloading, it should work fine in your browser.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Vampiriev

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks to both of you!

@Nathant I will keep an eye out I have some stumps like that on my property that I will be watching.

@ Batspiderfish That database is very impressive and helpful. I have used antmaps its what helped me narrow down what I would go for. (although I am hopeful for Prenolepis imparis something about them just captivates me)

I think that is why I am looking for more info on my area because it shares similarities with Eastern Tennessee more than the rest of NC with the way weather behaves. And because I only have a small window I want to have the best chance possible.