Isopods as ant food?

Questions from those who are just starting or considering getting into the ant keeping hobby. If you’re intimidated or confused by the in-depth posts of the other sections of this forum, feel free to post here, and we'll start from square one!

Moderator: ooper01

adragondream

Isopods as ant food?

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:57 am

Hi!

I recently got my first ant colony, which is C. Nicobarensis. The colony arrived from a friend, so it already has around 20 workers . I've been feeding them honey water/sugar water for sugar and boiled egg whites for protein. Recently, the queen laid her first clutch of eggs, and I've been thinking about getting some insects for them. Cockroaches, crickets and mealworms are out for personal reasons, and they don't seem interested in the fish or prawn I've offered them. I've also had bad luck with catching wild bugs (I live in the middle of the city, and I'me worried 'bout pesticides).

I'm just wondering if larger isopods would be a good source of food for them. I'd probably cut them open before I feed them because I'm pretty sure that the ants won't be able to get past the shell, and I'm thinking abou gut loading them with fresh fruit and veggies before I feed them to the ants.

Does anybody have any sort of experience with this?
What other alternative protein sources do you recommend?

Thanks,
JZ

Antloverhuman

Re: Isopods as ant food?

Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:56 am

I have fed my ants isopods before and they did eat it. Only concern is where you are getting them from as they may contain pesticides or parasites which can kill your colony. I got mine under a brick so there was no case of pesticides but if you are getting them from outdoor they might
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

adragondream

Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:23 pm

Antloverhuman wrote:
I have fed my ants isopods before and they did eat it. Only concern is where you are getting them from as they may contain pesticides or parasites which can kill your colony. I got mine under a brick so there was no case of pesticides but if you are getting them from outdoor they might
Thanks!

The pesticides thing shouldn't pose a problem since I'm planning on breeding them myself. One problem that might raise itself is the fact that I'm not sure if the isopods breed fast enough to become a sustainable food source. Does anyone breed isopods have any experience?

JZ

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:57 am

adragondream wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:23 pm
Antloverhuman wrote:
Thanks!

The pesticides thing shouldn't pose a problem since I'm planning on breeding them myself. One problem that might raise itself is the fact that I'm not sure if the isopods breed fast enough to become a sustainable food source. Does anyone breed isopods have any experience?

JZ
Some reptile store sell starter cultures.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…